How Thermogenesis Works: The Science Behind Burning Fat [Infographic]
By Dr. William J. Keller with Darlyn Britt
What is Thermogenesis?
A lot of people define this as fat burning, which is a pretty apt description. But let’s take it a step further. Thermogenesis is the generation of heat in the mitochondria (the cell’s energy factory) due to an uncoupling of oxidative phosphorylation.
That’s a mouthful, right?
So, what does this really mean?
Let’s explain it in this graphic and the text below:
When food is metabolized in your body, a lot of electrons are produced. As these electrons are processed in the mitochondria, the energy liberated is trapped to form ATP — the cell’s energy currency.
Normally electron processing and ATP formation are coupled, and the ATP produced provides needed cellular energy. When uncoupling occurs, very little ATP is formed. Most of the energy is released as heat.
Free fatty acids from fat cells activate uncoupling and the thermogenic mechanism. Lipolysis, or the breakdown of fat, liberates free fatty acids (hence the name fat burning). The fat disappears and a lot of heat is produced.
Working together for a Goal
The following natural components of MetaboMax Plus combine to synergistically affect lipolysis, which gives the free fatty acids that spark thermogenesis.
- Synephrine from bitter orange stimulates the release of noradrenaline (or norepinephrine) that binds to receptors on fat cells, causing lipolysis.
- EGCG, the main catechin from green tea extract , enhances noradrenaline action because it inhibits an enzyme that normally breaks down noradrenaline.
- Natural caffeine from guarana and yerba mate interferes with the breakdown of a key mediator in the lipolytic process.
The other ingredients act together to cause lipolysis and weight loss.
From this we understand that the free fatty acids from lipolysis stimulate uncoupling. This uncoupling results in thermogenesis. So, fat breaks down, the fatty acids cause uncoupling, and foods are oxidized to give only heat, which is dissipated and not used by the body as an energy source. Remember, this process continues at a fairly fast rate as long as the ATP levels are low.
Additional MetaboMax ingredients benefit weight loss by different mechanisms.
- Capsicum from red pepper decreases appetite through sensory stimulation, as well as binding to the so-called vanilloid receptor. This receptor is important in body temperature regulation.
- Guggulsterones increase the conversion of T4 to the more potent thyroid hormone T3, which is known to stimulate thermogenesis.
- Chickweed interferes with fat absorption from the gastrointestinal tract.
A solid weight loss program should also include a sensible diet and a reasonable exercise program. And of course, determination is a key component.