Why Exercise Makes You Smarter [infographic]
Exercise might be as crucial for your brain as diet is. In fact, studies show a lack of exercise doesn’t just affect the body. It also has significant affects on growing brain cells. Mice that ran 3 miles each night doubled their hippocampus size over time.
OnlineCollegCourses put together a nice graphic to show how exercise increases the performance of the brain, especially in youth. Some of the stats below include:
- In elementary kids, 40 minutes of daily exercise caused an average IQ increase of 3.8 points.
- The fittest students scored 30% higher on tests than average students (less-fit students scored 20% lower)
- Those who regularly play sports show a 20% improvement in math, science, english and social studies
- Fit 18 year olds were more likely to go onto higher education
- Students who worked out before class improved test scores 17% on average
- Employees who exercise regularly are 15% more efficient