Prevent Mold in the Home
Rid the area of moisture
Mold is a tiny fungus that can grow inside the home and cause allergies and other health problems.
The University of Virginia Health System offers these suggestions to help keep mold out of your home:
- Keep humidity at low levels — between 40 percent and 60 percent, and use an air conditioner or dehumidifier when it’s humid outside.
- Use exhaust fans to keep areas such as kitchens and bathrooms well ventilated.
- Keep carpet out of areas where moisture may collect, such as bathrooms or basements.
- Promptly and thoroughly dry any furnishings that get wet, especially carpets or upholstered furniture.
- Fix any leaky plumbing, roofs, or walls.
- Use cleaners that kill mold.
- If you’re painting, add a mold inhibitor to the paint