Eating fruits and vegetables every day isn’t an easy task — especially to eat the daily suggested amount.
If you’re counting, that’s about 1-2 cups of fruit and 2-3 cups of vegetables every day. Those who accomplish it maintained strict discipline, and developed some habits that help ensure the palate and stomach enjoy fresh produce.
8 Ways to Eat More Fruits and Veggies
- Put mini carrots, broccoli, and sugar snap peas in a small plastic bagfor easy, portable snacks.
- Fill half of your plate with vegetables at every lunch and dinner. Eat this half first!
- If you want something sweet for dessert, make it fruit. Whole, fresh fruit is best.
- Include two vegetables at every dinner.
- Add vegetables to starches like rice or pasta dishes.
- Make frozen fruit smoothies with whole fruit, ice cubes, and skim milk or low fat yogurt.
- At restaurants, choose beans, vegetables, or a side salad instead of fries.
- Keep fruits and veggies on hand and in plain view. Store the chips and cookies out of sight. Better yet, buy them only for special occasions.
How important is it to eat fruit and vegetables daily? What are some other ideas to help make sure you include fruit and veggies