Three months to a year before you conceive, it’s important to begin preparing your body for pregnancy.
The American Pregnancy Association offers these suggestions:
- Get plenty of folic acid by eating lots of leafy green vegetables, citrus fruits, nuts and fortified whole grains. Or take a daily supplement of 400 micrograms.
- Drink at least three eight-ounce glasses of skim milk each day to get enough calcium. Other sources of calcium include: cottage cheese, low-fat yogurt, canned salmon, sardines, rice and cheese.
- Reduce or eliminate caffeine from your diet.
- Eliminate all artificial sweeteners, alcohol, any drugs that are not recommended by your doctor, and cigarettes.
- Take any prenatal vitamins or supplements recommended by your doctor.